The first four months out of Cedar Hill Rec Centre are pretty much nailed down. One old workout Oakcrest has been brought back to start the year off, and a few others have been reordered for light levels. King's Pond and Dark Trails are foul weather backups. As always the schedule is subject to minor updates and tweaks as necessary. Updated attachments with the 2020 date may come.
Remember an old workout you'd like back? See one you'd like dropped? Have some thoughts on how to adjust an existing workout to improve? Or a suggestion for a whole new workout? Let us know. Any and all input welcome.
|Week / Leader||Date||Meet|
|1 Gary||Jan. 7||
Cedar Hill Rec Ctr
|Oakcrest||Road||12 x 500m — "U" shaped Oakcrest, 100m recovery on Cedar Hill sidewalk
three sets of four, 500m reverse jog recovery between sets
2020: new first workout as haven't done in a while [~25]
|2 Shane||Jan. 14||Low Doncaster Snowy Trails||Road
|12 x 400m incline, 275m dark path recovery, 85m sprint, 85m recovery
— three sets of four, 400m road recovery between sets
2020: 9 x 600m, 75m recoveries — 3 blizzardy figure eights on the NE interior cart paths of Cedar Hill Golf Course [snow 6]
|3 Gary||Jan. 21||Aldridge / Kingsley||Road||10 x 500m, 100m recovery — Five circuits of Aldridge, Knight, Kingsley, North Dairy, crossing McRae 10 times, be careful! [~20]|
|4 Shane||Jan. 28||Cook / The Rise||Road||6 x 450m bump, 30 second walk/rest, 350m hill, 200m walk/jog recovery
— six laps of Cook, Vista Heights, The Rise, and Summit 
|5 Gary||Feb. 4||Savannah / Lovat||Road||8 x 675m, 100m uphill walk recovery, counter-clockwise
— two sets of four, reverse 675m jog recovery between sets [rain 18]
|6 Shane||Feb. 11||Cook @ Quadra Twelve Hills||Road||Three Monarch of the Hill repeats of Hollis, then in turn of Clovelly Terrace, Camrose Court, and in a continuous loop Connorton Lane — longer recovery on roads between |
|7 Gary||Feb. 18||Townley Queenston Taylor||Road||6 x 1km, final 200m build, 150m recovery — six flat loops [~23]|
|8 Shane||Feb. 25||Peacock Hill||Road||10 x 250m climb up Tolmie Avenue to Peacock Hill gaining +30m, jog recovery down
— two sets of five, 600m recovery between adding Bellevue to Maywood [~20]
|9 Gary||Mar. 3||Wordsworth / Browning||Road||12 x 600m, 75m recovery — six figure-eights of Wordsworth, North Dairy, Browning, McRae, Wordsworth, Knight and Browning Park [~24 Oscar, ?]
2020: moved later for better end light through park
|10 Shane||Mar. 10||Bridgeport Hills||Road||Three paired hill assault tempos of Pointer & Nancy, then of Duke & Bridgeport, then of Tattersall lane & McInnis Rise (time permitting) — regrouping jog between [~22 Sophie]
2020: moved later for better light over Duke
|11 Gary||Mar. 17||Golf Course Uppers||Chip Trail||4 x 1 mile on north perimeter trail, 400m jog + 100m walk recovery across middle - anti-clockwise
— alternate workout after first lap switch to Monghetti Fartlek 2x90s,4x60s,4x30s,4x15s [~15 Lara, Doug]
Due to the coronavirus outbreak, and following recommendations by BC Health Officials about physical distancing, Harriers Tuesday Night Workouts will be SUSPENDED until they are safe to resume again. We will send a message to all club members when the group gathering cancellation is lifted by Health authorities. It doesn't mean that you should stop running solo as health and running experts claim that an outdoor, active lifestyle will boost your immune system and help fight the disease if you come in contact with someone who is affected. Be safe, protect your family, run often, stay positive, and we will be back together again when this terrible disease subsides. It is a serious worldwide concern.
Challenge yourself to complete the current or any other week's workout as well or better than last year. Or make up a similar workout at somewhere convenient.
Group sessions suspended until further notice – you can do on your own
|Mt. Tolmie||Road / Trail||Six big hill climbs — 3 x 600m up Mayfair road from south gaining +60m, jog recovery down; 3 x 525m up trail section from north gaining +40m, jog recovery down road & trail
||Mar. 31||Browning Sonria Wordsworth||Road||6 x 520m (140m recovery) / 700m (80m recovery)
— six loops of Browning, park, Browning (Derby) / Sonria, Browning, Knight, Wordsworth (McRae)
||Apr. 7||Summit Park||Grass / Trail||12 x 500m, 1 minute recovery
— three sets of four, 2 minute walk / jog recovery between sets
|15||Apr. 14||Oswald Park Parloff||Path||Parloff Relay — continuous tagged repeats with partner of 250m (70m recovery)
— in sets of 12, 10 and 8 minutes with two minutes rest between
|16||Apr. 21||Golf Course Lowers||Chip Trail||9 x 650m (50m recovery) on south perimeter and middle trails
— three clockwise laps of three intervals (uphill, flatter, downhill)
|17||Apr. 28||Topaz Park Diagonals||Pavement or grass||Continuous repeats of ~350m U's around fenced sports field with ~95m recovery jog across end
— 2 sets of 15 minutes with 3 minutes rest between
** Spring Fluids & Fare ** — 5th Street Grill on Hillside TBC
|spare||extra||King's Pond||Trail / Road||12 x 125m/250m — first on chip trail, second on Ascot accelerating three times, equal jog recoveries
— three sets of four, walk/jog recovery between sets
- Mon. Mar. 23: G did the Mt Tolmie workout this morning. About 3:50 up & 2:40 down each south, and 3:40 up & 3:00 down each north. Most of the wide trails have been recently upgraded with a new hard packed layer of fine gravel. Check it out!
- Mon. Mar. 30 G did the 6-lap Browing-Sonria-Wordsworth workout this morning. A remarkably consistent 6:57 each lap, including a walk+jog recovery up Derby and walk recovery along McRae, excepting 5 seconds quicker on the last. It's definitely harder to keep pushing on your own through the end of each nterval, especially when a strong headwind from the south along Wordsworth knocks your pace down. Done by 7:45a and all in the sun, although also in the rain for the last 1.5. Careful on the wooden bridge if wet.
- Tue. Apr. 7: G did the Summit Park workout this morning. 9:25, 9:25, 9:22 per set with 3:00 between. Although worried that even early dawn would be too busy and there were dog walkers about, only had to step wide a few times on the narrow trails.
- Mon. Apr.13: G did an adapted solo version of the Parloff Relay workout noonish, not in-situ but around the south soccer field in Braefoot park. Soon determined that a walk recovery on one end of goal box depth gave the desired equal time to running the remainder, about 50s. Yours may vary.
- Mon. Apr. 20: G did the Golf Course Lowers workout at 6:30 am to reduce encounters but still met about 10 per lap. Recoveries may have been a bit long at 1 minute quick walk, and the west downhill interval short. Improved about 10 seconds per lap averaging 11:01.
- Mon. Apr. 27: G did the Topaz Park U's workout midday after a 3km warmup. Basically had the area around the fenced sports field to myself. Ran through the yellow dandeloins on the south & west, but kept to the cement path on the north & the walk / jog recovery on the east. About 15:30 to finish off the 8th interval both sets, first clockwise, second anti. 3km uphill return.
Mount Doug Park
Group sessions still suspended until further notice – you can do as an individual
|Glendenning 200's||DT Trail||21 x 200m increasing inclines, 100m jog recovery
— three sets of seven, 800m jog recovery down between sets — far South, long warmup
|19||May 12||Long North||Trail||3 x 1200m / 1100m, 1 minute recovery
— Whittaker / Norn — warmup to old resort
|20||May 19||South Up||Trail||3 x 600m / 350m / 550m, 1 minute recovery
— connector, up Mercer, Harrop / down Whittaker / up Firepit, down Glendenning
2018: rotated segments for a gentler start
|21||May 26||Dave Reed Triangles||Trail||6 x 450m / 250m / 350m, alternating hard and steady intervals
— Mercer / connector / Glendenning — Dave Reed memorial workout
|22||June 2||Norn Steeplechase||Trail||4 x 400m / 500m / 600m, 1 minute recovery
— Norn, Irvine / Norn, Whittaker / Whittaker, Norn — loop crossing Churchill Dr
|23||June 9||Harrop Hill||Trail||3 x 600m / 600m / 600m, 1 minute recovery
— up and along Harrop / down Mercer / down Maddock
|24||June 16||Cross Churchill||Trail||4 x 300m / 250m / 400m / 450m, 1 minute recovery
— Whittaker / Norn / Whittaker / Norn — figure 8's north and south of Churchill Dr
|25||June 23||Douglas||Trail||3 x 1000m / 650m, 100m / 200m walk / jog recovery
— Beach, Douglas / Douglas — figure 8's south and north of Ash Rd
|26||June 30||Double Shot||Trail||3 x 500m / 400m / 400m / 400m, 1 minute recovery, jog middle, walk ends
— Whittaker / Whittaker / Norn / Norn — between Churchill & gravel pit
** Summer Picnic in the Park with order-in options
I hope to mark out every 100m for the Glendenning workout, but not clear if the others along narrower trails are even viable in a socially considerate manner given current distancing guidelines.
- Mon. May 4 (star wars day): G laid out white dots every 100m and did the Glendenning 200's workout early this morning. Consistent but slower than years past. The spray dots mid-width start at the no bikes sign and should last a few days. Some lower sections have a new smooth grit surface. No issue with other users.
- Mon. May 11: G did a 20 minute warmup from home at 6:30a to the end of the Whittaker segment, walked a minute recovery up to where the trail narrowed, then launched into the Long North workout starting with the 1100 along Norn. Knocked about 25s off by the third lap. Definitely more people out in these early hours, especially runners and dog walkers, with most well practiced at accomodating respectful distance passing on these somewhat wider trails. 6 new Sooke hill summits yesterday.
- Mon. May 18: No Douglas Mile or parade today. A later holiday start of 8:45a from home to the South Up workout definitely meant more users about, with encounters on every trail, mainly dog walkers. Be prepared to slow or stop to kindly step aside when meeting and call out when overtaking especially on the narrower trails. My watch lap button stopped after the first three segments so an extra challenge to remember elapsed times.
- Fri. May 29: A bit late this week. After much fretting that the Dave Reed triangle trails would be too busy and trying unsuccessfully to think of similar alternatives, decided to just give it a go. 7:45a from home. First couple laps weren't bad, but last four were getting busier. Still trying to find the elusive lull window. Alternate laps reasonably consistent near 4:25 and 4:40.
- Thu. Jun 4: A day and 15 minutes earlier from home this for the Norn Steeplechase workout. The big namesakes of yore were at least visible, as something caught me just off Whittaker on the long third segment and I touched down. Still didn't spot it second lap, but at least stayed upright. Third time was the charm. Turned out to be a stub end hidden under growth .
The schedule for the remainder of the year after Mt Doug on hasn't even been date adjusted yet.
Summer Wild Card — various
|Cuthbert Holmes||Trail & path||6 x 650m / 350m double interval figure 8's, common 1 minute recovery
— meet by Silver City Theatre, Tillicum mall — warmup into shaded park
||July 16||Mystic Vale||Trail||5 x 600m / 550m / 100m surprise, 70m walk recovery
— meet by Henderson Rec Centre parking lot — magical Mystical tour warmup
|29 Gary||July 23||Layritz||Trail||3 x 430m / 700m / 430m / 640m figure 8's with flat & hill side intervals and common centre interval, walk recovery
— meet by Layritz Ave parking lot — 3/4 figure 8 warmup
|30 Shane||July 30||Macaulay Point||Trail & path||4 x 800m / 600m, 100m recoveries — loops through & around old fortifications
meet by Buxton Green parking lot off Munro St — warmup with seaviews of Victoria
|31 Gary||Aug. 6||
Beaver Lake lower (gravel) parking lot
|Bananas||Trail||2019: 4 x
— near the shelter — full loop warmup
||Aug. 13||East Bridges||Trail||5 x 775m / 515m, pink / blue, 100m recovery
— near the small beach
|33 Gary||Aug. 20||West Double D||Trail||4 x 750m / 830m, 150m recovery
— near the riding ring
|34 Shane||Aug. 27||East Meadows / Lakeshore||Trail||4 x 600m / 800m, 100m recovery
— in the meadows & lakeshore trail
|35 Gary||Sep. 3||Bear Hill||Trail||2 x 1km surges outbound on back stretch, 1+km climb up Bear Hill, 1km and 2km surges inbound, jog between|
||Sep. 10||West Meadows / Lakeshore||Trail||6 x 500m / 500m, 100m recovery
— between the shelter and riding ring
|37 Gary||Sep. 17||Long East Boathouse||Trail||3 x 1250m / 650m, 100m recovery
— towards the boathouses
||Sep. 24||Long West Loop||Trail||5 x 1200m, 1 minute recovery
— near the ponds
|39 Gary||Oct. 1||Parloff Relay||Grass||Parloff Relay (teams of three) — 30 minutes of 200m, 100m recovery
— in sets of 12, 10, and 8 minutes, 2 minute recovery between sets
** Autumn Fluids & Fare — Med Grill on W Saanich
|40 Shane||Oct. 8||
Fall Wild Card — various
|Uplands Park||Trail||5 x 500m / 500m, 1 minute recovery, five circuits of a 1.2K loop
— meet by small lot on Scenic Drive entrance just off Beach Drive
|41 Gary||Oct. 15||Rithets Bog Park||Trail||2 x 2800m, 3 minute recovery
— meet at corner of Chatterton Way and Dalewood Lane
|42 Shane||Oct. 22||Esquimalt Gorge Park||Mixed||5 x 800m / 500m, 50m walk recovery
— meet by main parking lot at end of entrance road off Tillicum
|43 Gary||Oct. 29||Beckwith Park||Grass / Trail||6 x 500m / 500m alternating, 150m walk/jog recoveries
— meet by washroom building
|44 Shane||Nov. 5||
Cedar Hill Rec Ctr
|Epsom / Ascot||Road||5 x 400m / 540m, 1 minute recovery
— five circuits
|45 Gary||Nov. 12||Tracksell / James Heights||Road||5 x 200m / 350m / 350m / 200m, 100m strong jog / 50m walk recoveries
— five out & back "Big Dipper" circuits
|46 Shane||Nov. 19||Derby||Road||12 x 500m — Derby, up Persimmon, Astoria, 100m recovery by Maplewood
— three sets of four, 300m jog recovery via Willerton between sets
||Nov. 26||High Doncaster||Road||12 x 500m — Derby, up Doncaster, Glacier, 300m walk+jog recovery via Diana
— three sets of four with 4th to Cranbrook, 500m reversenjog recovery between sets
|48 Shane||Dec. 3||Kathleen / Craigmillar||Road||6 x 800m — Kathleen, down Rock, Craigmillar, 100m recovery up Tattersall sidewalk
— six circuits
|49 Gary||Dec. 10||Astoria||Road||12 x 500m — Astoria, down Persimmon, Derby, 100m recovery by Maplewood
— three sets of four, 300m jog recovery via Willerton between sets
|50 Kathleen, Jeff, Paul||Dec. 17||Cedar Hill Rd @ Mt Doug Park between Elnido Rd & Cres||Christmas Lights Run||Road||several routes of various lengths through west Gordon Head
** Winter Fare & Fluids — Romeo's Broadmead
|51 you||Dec. 24||Christmas Eve||Dark Trails of CHGC||Trail||9 x 600m, 75m recoveries — 3 snowy (wishful thinking) figure eights on the NE interior cart paths of Cedar Hill Golf Course|
|52||Dec. 31||UVic||Run Through Time||Road Race||6pm 5K|
- Training sessions every Tuesday night throughout the year start at 5:15 pm from Cedar Hill Rec. Centre (Nov.–April), Mount Douglas Park (May–June), Wild Card locations (July, Oct.), and Beaver Lake (Aug., Sept.).
- There are different pace groups for the warmup and workouts intermix abilities so all groups finish at the same time. Each session will feature a bonus lap for regrouping prior to the cool down. Run leaders are Gary Duncan and Shane Ruljancich who will generally alternate weekly.
- Do not train faster than your normal pace; don't be dragged through an uncomfortable workout at someone else’s pace when it is beyond your fitness level. It is up to each person to determine their training pace and workout pace.
- Each training session is geared towards the upcoming Island Series race, or as a softer surface recovery run following a race. Other races where TNW’s benefit training and recovery include the TC 10K, Sun Run, Oak Bay and other Half Marathons, MEC and Victoria Run Series, Victoria Marathon, PIH-hosted Thetis Lake races, and other road and cross country events.